An unusual historical heritage

Over the years, the municipality of Mondorf-les-Bains has endeavored to maintain a historical and cultural heritage that it has cultivated over time !

To discover

You have the opportunity to discover this legacy more than captivating through our magazine "Heritage Edition" or along two of our historical circuits with supporting brochures or during our literary guided walks every 1st and 4th Wednesday of the month.


 

Mondorf Mairie

New town Hall

A modern building with a very special design designed by the Coeba architecture office, the new town hall was inaugurated on July 6, 2012.
In addition to its communal offices and wedding hall, it also houses its "Bierger-a Kulturhaus", which hosts many events, conferences and exhibitions.

Place of Twin Cities

This public square owes its name to a European partnership that the Commune has maintained since 1956.
Mondorf-les-Bains is twinned with 5 cities: Cabourg (France), Chur (Switzerland), Mayrhofen (Austria), Terracina (Italy) and Bad-Hombourg (Germany)

Also known as "Neie Brill", this place, set in the heart of the shops, is ideal for all events organized within the Commune or simply to enjoy a relaxing and serene environment.

Mondorf PVJ
Mondorf JohnGrün

New monument John Grün

Built in November 2012 in honor of John Grün (1868-1912).
Mondorf-les-Bains boasted during the last years of the nineteenth century that he saw the birth of the strongest man in the world. His life would probably have passed peacefully in his hometown, in spite of his prodigious muscular strength, if the taste for adventure had not prompted the young adolescent to emigrate in 1889 to the United States, where he had a career and a notorious notoriety.

Stolpersteng

11 stones of memory were placed on November 6, 2015 by the artist Gunter Demnig in memory of the victims of Nazism, who lived in Mondorf-les-Bains and who were deported or executed during the Second World War.

Rue du Moulin, place Bernard Weber, Allée Jean Linster, rue John Grün, avenue Dr. Klein.

Mondorf Stolpersteng
Mondorf Maison JG

Birthplace of John Grün

23 John Grün Street, John Grün's birthplace. Still on foot today, it is part of the cultural and historical heritage of the Commune of Mondorf-les-Bains.

Former John Grün monument

This memorial was erected in 1920 by an organizing committee of 18 people and financed by public subscription.
From a sporting point of view, Grun is the first Luxembourger, before so many others, who has done honor to the foreigner to his little Luxembourg country and, as such, his memory deserves to be preserved. This is what this monument recalls.
Some of his equipment (weights and dumbbells, cast iron blocks, etc ...) is on display at the Sports Center Roll Delles in Mondorf-les-Bains.

Mondorf MonumentJohn Grün
Mondorf eglise

St Michael's Church

Construction started in 1764 by Abbot Nicolas Ungeschick. Combining baroque and rococo, it offers a palette of several renowned artists beyond our borders (including the painter J. Weiser for the fresco of the heart, the Nicolas Greeff, father and son, for a large part of the statues, the sculptor mondorfois Jean Decker for the lateral altars (Aelter-Hännes) and the art glassmaker Linster (for stained-glass windows)

The Montée Nicolas Ungeschick is one of the most picturesque corners of our city. This small chapel was erected in 1930, the sculptor of the mater dolorosa (Pietà) was J. Reyter of Altwies.

Former Town Hall

It is a building that has had an eventful history.
The Tower, which served as a prison and dovecote in the Middle Ages, rests on foundations dating back to Roman times. In the Middle Ages, this complex was the provost of the seigniory of Roussy.
In 1823, J-P. Ledure, notary and "father of thermalism" in Mondorf-les-Bains acquires the complex, the main house is transformed into a mansion to install its study there.
In 1890, the imposing tower was restored by state architect Charles Arendt.
Towards the end of the 19th century, the facilities were transformed into a hotel (Hotel de Metz).
Finally, the Commune bought the buildings and from 1918 to 1958, the town hall is installed in the main building.
Today, this house and the magnificent tower are rented to the APEHM.

Mondorf AncienneCommune
Mondorf Synagogue

Synagogue & place Goerges Marx

Towards the end of the last century, Mondorf included a Jewish community strongly involved in the life of the city. Thus, in 1907, a synagogue was built in the Rue du Moulin. Heavily damaged during the "Night of the Crystal", organized on October 14, 1941 by Nazis, it was restored recently. An official ceremony was dedicated on October 18, 2015, here in the rue du Moulin, at the same time as the inauguration of the Georges Marx square right before its door.
Georges Marx Square : Georges Marx, survivor of the Auschwitz concentration camp, was the nephew of the Marx-Moyse family, Jewish refugees in Mondorf-les-Bains during the Second World War.

Garden Clara Reinert

Clara Reinert (1888-1968) was a midwife who lived in Mondorf-les-Bains rue du Moulin. Most of the women of Mondorf and surroundings came to give birth in her little maternity.

Mondorf Jardin
Mondorf Gare

Former Station of Mondorf-village Jangeli

From 1882, a narrow-gauge railway line linked Remich to Luxembourg-city, passing by Mondorf-les-Bains. The little train took the sobriquet "Jangeli". The café-restaurant served as a passenger building. Opposite, a wooden chalet was built for the sale of the tickets.

Customs

A simple corrugated iron hut in 1924, a wooden hut covered with tarred paper in 1945, it still exists today and remains a witness to the days when customs and customs still existed. Classified "historic building" on the Luxembourg side, it will be renovated in 2017.

Mondorf Ancienne Douane
Victor Hugo

Victor Hugo

Victor Hugo visited Mondorf-les-Bains in 1871. He and several members of his family followed a cure to treat sciatica. He regularly attended the present Taverne Victor Hugo in Altwies, which at the time was a post office, where he went to fetch his mail.
He was staying at the Hotel de Paris in front of this tavern on the French side

Frantz Clément

Man of letters who had marked many spirits, Frantz Clement was born in Mondorf-les-Bains on November 3, 1882.
He became editor-in-chief of the daily newspaper Escher Tageblatt in 1923, after being a teacher. Following numerous criticisms of the German Empire during the invasion of Luxembourg, he and two of his collaborators were arrested in mid-August 1914 and imprisoned for five weeks in a German prison. He later became a teacher and then resumed his position as editor-in-chief at the Tageblatt for a few years. From 1924 to 1928, he was an independent journalist in the Paris region but decided to return to Luxembourg after Hitler took power in 1933, where he was editor and collaborator of various Luxembourg newspapers. His official death is stipulated on his death certificate on June 2, 1942, but after further research it turned out that he was gassed and burned on May 6, 1942 in the Nazi euthanasia center at Hartheim Castle in which he had transferred with a number of other detainees. His body is buried in the Mondorf-les-Bains cemetery.

Mondorf-Village-GS
Mondorf Mnt gare internationale

Monument international station

This monument represents the point of connection of the old railway lines leading to Luxembourg, Thionville and Remich.

Old Station

In 1903, the wooden building was replaced by a stone building. This station was not only used as a station for the Luxembourg-Mondorf-Remich line but also as a terminus with ticketing for the Mondorf-Thionville line.
The Lorrainers called this line "de Jängelchen". From now on, Mondorf was served by the "Jangeli" and the "Jängelchen".
This station was demolished in 1969 to make way for a residential building (Floralies 1)

Mondorf Gare03
Mondorf  semaine aviation

Aviation Week Monument

In tribute to the first meeting of aviation which took place from June 5 to 12, 1910 under the aegis of the industrialist Charles Bettendorf. It was during this meeting that Jacques Wiesenbach, a Luxembourg driver, made the first flight at Mondorf-les-Bains, barely 1 meter from the ground in the meadows where today is the Dr Klein avenue.

Place Emile Krieps

Émile Krieps (4 January 1920 - 30 September 1998) was a leader of the Luxembourg resistance, soldier, Minister of Health from 1974 to 1984 and benefactor of Mondorf-les-Bains.
This square was inaugurated in his honor on July 16, 2015.

Mondorf placeEK2
Mondorf Fontaine indépendance

Place of Independence

The Independence Fountain was erected in 1989 in the Avenue des Bains, as part of the celebration of the 150th anniversary of the country's independence.
25 years later, for the 175th anniversary, a commemorative plaque was inaugurated in the Avenue des Bains, a few steps from the Fountain.

The Museum of Aviation

There really was a need for an exceptional place capable of accommodating, preserving and exhibiting the heritage of Luxembourg aviation which survived the Second World War. It was impossible to forget this part of the history of our country. With force and perseverance, the museum opened its doors in 2012 in the pavilion of the old Kind source.
It should be noted that this building served as the pavilion representing Luxembourg at the World Expo in Brussels in 1958.

Information and visit :

Thermal Parc

L - 5610 MONDORF-LES-BAINS

Tél.: (+352) 23.666.969

www.fligermusee.lu

Opening time :

From Wednesday to Sunday from 14:00 to 18:00

Admission: free

Also enjoy the fun activity for children and teenagers:

QUIZ & FOLDING PAPER AIRCRAFT

Go for the right answers in the heart of the Fligermusée.Et for the faster, take a model of paper plane, fold it and make a contest of the one who will launch it furthest.

Mondorf Fligermusée
Altwies Castel

The Castel

A rocky spur crowned with a chapel, the Castel is located halfway between Mondorf and Altwies on the French shore of the Gander. Our Celtic ancestors, 25 centuries ago, already used the steep rock, difficult to access, as a refuge by barring its southern side by a tide of land, some tens of meters high, still visible today.

Maus Kätti Fountain

The artist Will Lofy, born in 1937, represented an episode of the work of Auguste Liesch (1874-1949) "Maus Ketti" recalling the fable of La Fontaine "the rat of the cities and the rat of the fields" . Sparkling staging of a visit that Ketti makes to his cousin Mim de Clausen. Let us not forget that the Luxembourg writer, born in Mondorf, regularly sent Ketti to take the waters to Mondorf after tight meals.

"An ass et mer net an der Rei

Sinn ech ze vill pupsaat

Ginn ech am Sondessegezei

No Mun’ref an de Bad"

Mondorf Fontaine Maus Katti